Friday, July 30, 2004

Creepy Freaks... mongrified to HOMUNCULI

A friend of mine, Mr. Chick Lewis of the Left Coast, bumped into me at HISTORCON 2004 and handed me a mysterious bag from a dollar store he had been to that day. It was loaded with the most bizarre collection of odd little figures imaginable. Piles of shambling Pus, Homicidal jack-in-the-boxes, frankenstein teddybears, and that's just the tame stuff. He didn't know what they were, and neither did I.

I've since learned that these are someting called CREEPY FREAKS, part of a failed line by Whizkids, the clicky people.



The idea is to play a sort of 1 to 1 skirmish game, using the map Whizkids supplies you with. It's not a bad idea, and I love the way they look... but what to do with them in a larger gaming sense? Can they mix with other, largish horror/fantasy figures? maybe... I'd like to get them based so that I could use some larger stuff, like the alternative fantasy world figures that MONOLITH is coming out with now.

My idea, of sorts, is to scale them so that the are actual-sized, in our real world, like Fairy Meat does for fairies. Only put them in a setting where they are on a lab table. The back story is that they are homunculi from Doctor Praetorious' lab, and the cat has knocked over the jars they were stored in and now it's a battle royale.



Just musing on the idea right now, but it might make for an interesting game, ala SERGEANT SLAUGHTER IN BUN-BUN LAND.

Walt

No comments: